The two major platforms for blogging is Blogger and WordPress. Many bloggers starts their blogging career with free Blogger.com with sub-domain. Whereas WordPress.com also give you the facility to host your blog for free with limited features. In this article we are going to migrate the blog from blogger to WordPress.org [self-hosted]. If you are confused between WordPress.com and WordPress.org than read the article on WordPress.com vs WordPress.org [with Infograph]
Before we go through the guide you should know about What is WordPress? Why WordPress?. Are you ready? If yes, than let’s get started. This guide does not require any technical knowledge, so you can migrate easily with the help of few plugins.
Before we start, you should have WordPress installed on the new hosting provider. WordPress recommends Bluehost. WPBegins users can get the free .com domain and special discount on plans. Sign Up now.
I assume you have WordPress installed on your new hosting provider cpanel and have custom domain.
Import Content from Blogger To WordPress
Login to your blogger account
- Goto Settings->Other
- Click on Back up content and save the xml file on your Computer
After completing the above step head over to your new WordPress Dashboard. Login into your new WordPress dashboard.
- Goto Tools and click Import from the left side panel.
- Click on the Blogger from the right panel (As you wants to migrate from Blogger to WordPress)
- Click Install Now and Activate Blogger Importer by clicking on Activate Plugin & Run Importer
In the next screen, it will ask to upload the xml file which you have downloaded from blogger. In my case it allows upto 5MB file size. It always differs among different hosting provider. If your file exceeds than the available size than you can contact the hosting provider to increase the upload limit or you can do by yourself by editing the php.ini file.
- Browse and upload your xml file
You can create the new user or you posts to the existing user by select the user from the drop-down list and click submit
Here you have successfully imported the content from blogger to WordPress.
Now you need to change the permalinks structure as per the blogger. To change the permalinks
- Goto Settings->Permalinks
- Select Month and name or you can place /%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/ in Custom Structure
- Click Save Changes
Blogger To WordPress Redirection
This is one of the important step which is to redirect Blogger visitors to WordPress (Your custom domain). This could be performed by installing a plugin. Goto Plugin and install Blogger To WordPress plugin by rtCamp.
- Goto Tools -> Blogger To WordPress Redirection
- Click Start Configuration. It will show the list of imported blogs.
- Click on Get Code. As soon as you click on Get Code, it will generated the code below.
Now you need to copy that code and paste in the Blogger template. To do this follow below steps
- Goto Blogger Dashboard and Click Template.
- Click Edit HTML from the right pane. Before pasting the code, copy the existing code and save it in notepad for the backup.
- Now paste the new code and Click Save Template
Goto WordPress and click verify configuration. It will give you the Test case for checking if the visitors are redirecting to your new blog or not. Here you have successfully redirected your visitor to new blog and without loosing SEO or downtime
The last thing is to redirect your RSS feed and subscribers.
- Goto Blogger Dashboard -> Settings -> Other.
- Add your new feed URL in Post Feed Redirect URL
A quick summary on what you have done
You have fetched your all post and comments from blogger and imported it to your new blog on WordPress. Your visitors and subscribers will automatically redirect to your new blog without any loss of SEO ranking. You have successfully redirected feed subscribers. And finally all you have done without any downtime. Subscribe for direct updates right in your inbox. Keep sharing. Stay tuned to Tech Tunes.
Follow me on Twitter